Many homeowners put a lot of effort into making sure their home has great curb appeal but put little thought into whether their home has any gutter issues. However, this is a problem because a gutter system that does not work properly can:
- cause water to get underneath the shingles, damaging your roof;
- cause water to run down the side of your house, damaging your siding and underlying structure;
- damage your foundation;
- flood your basement.
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons why it’s of paramount importance to have a gutter system in place and ensure that it works properly.
Gutter Problems and Solutions
Now that you know how important it is to have properly-working gutters, let’s take a look at some of the most common gutter problems so you can easily identify any potential problem.
Problem: Unless your gutters have a protective top that allows water and nothing else into your system, your gutters are completely open. This allows debris like leaves and twigs to get into your system. After a while, this debris can form a clog, inhibiting water from draining properly. If left untreated, your gutters can start to leak, sag, and even break away from your roofline.
Solution: Install protective covering on your gutter system to decrease the chances of clogs. Twice a year, make sure no small items have been able to get through.
Problem: As previously mentioned, gutters can form leaks. Leaky gutters can cause a lot of problems including roof problems, foundation damage, soil erosion and others. As a result, it can cause water to run and pool on your foundation, causing severe damage. All problems with home foundation are really expensive to fix. To prevent foundational damages and other costly affairs caused by leaking troughs, it is better to invest in rain gutters repair.
Solution: You’ll need to determine whether you have a seamless gutter system or not. If you have seams, one may have come apart and you may be able to slide the two pieces back together. If you cannot determine where the leak is coming from exactly you may need to call in a gutter cleaning company who can help you find and fix gutter leak at seams.
Problem: Clogs, heavy rains and high winds can cause your gutter system to pull away from your home. This can happen quite easily with older gutters that are no longer securely attached, or gutter systems that have not been installed correctly.
Solution: You will most likely need to call in professionals to either completely replace your system or re-install the section that has come loose.
DIY or Call a PRO?
We understand that it can be costly to hire professionals each time something goes wrong with the structure of your home. Here are some scenarios where you might be able to try a DIY solution to fix your gutter issues:
- Damage is localized and affecting only one or two sections of gutter. In this situation you can simply replace the damaged section without having to tear out and replace an entire gutter system.
- There are only a couple of holes or cracks. These can easily be cleaned with alcohol and covered with a quality sealant found at most home improvement stores. Larger holes and cracks can be repaired using a small piece of metal flashing.
- If a single seam is leaking, you should securely fasten the two parts. You may need to use some sealant to prevent the seal from reopening.
You need to start looking for a trusted home renovation contractor when:
- Old gutters are riddled with holes and cracks. When damage is this extensive, it’s better to replace your entire system.
- If, no matter how many new holes you’ve drilled, your hangers still come loose, you may have a problem with your fascia boards. Gutter replacement contractors will repair your rotting fascia boards./li>
- If sections of your gutter system refuse to stay together despite your best efforts to repair them. In this case, it’s better to replace your system with a seamless gutter system to prevent the repetition of a similar problem in the future.
- If you notice water damage to your roof, siding or basement even though you can’t find any obvious clogs, you will need professionals to help you determine where the overflow is coming from. A new gutter system may be needed.
If you determine that your repairs will require the help of professional gutter contractors, make sure to get in touch with a company that has the knowledge and experience to get the job done right.
Home Run Improvement offers gutter cleaning, repair and installation services at a reasonable price. We can help you to fix all your gutter problems including gutter guard problems, metal roof gutter problems, or any gutter problems with an overflow.
We have been serving Louisville and other Kentucky areas for more than 20 years. So, if you are looking for a reliable repair and installation company, give us a call at (502) 379-7415. We offer only the most durable seamless gutters and install them using the strongest hangers available on the market.