Homeowners do a Roof Replacement, or Siding / Gutter Replacements once every 15 – 25 years on average.
Hence, it is difficult to know what to look for in a trusted Contractor. Pros who do this work daily will do Roof Replacements. They typically offer larger Restoration and Remodeling Services in Louisville, Kentucky as well.
The life expectancy of your Roof / Siding / Gutters depends on several factors including:
- type of materials used
- quality of materials, and
- exposure to harsh weather elements
With regular maintenance and normal weathering factors, a Roof can last anywhere from 10 – 100 years.
Common roofing material such as:
- built up roofing usually lasts 12 – 20 years
- metal roofing 15 – 40 years
- wood shake or shingles 10 – 40 years
- asphalt shingles 15 – 20 years, and
- specialty material like slate up to 100 years under good conditions
Below are several keys to look for in a reliable Contractor for your project:
Owners want a Trusted, Qualified Roofer to Cover Your #1 Asset – your home. Keys to research:
* Think Local & Long-term: Is the Contractor Incorporated in Kentucky ? Check out: Kentucky – Secretary of State Many Contractors are not Incorporated (“Buck in a Truck”), or are Incorporated in other States. Therefore, if you have a roof leak issue 6 to 9 months later, will they travel back to fix the issue ? If they are not Local, the chances are very low that they will return to repair the issue.
* Groups of “Storm Chasers” will swoop into an area where storms hit. Once most jobs are done, Storm Chasers next move on to another storm in another state. Key: Check to see if they have KY License Plates.
* Do they have Local References / Reviews (Angie’s List, Better Business Bureau, Google, Facebook) / their own Website / Professional Business Cards / Product Samples ? Some Contractors do have reviews, however they are mainly bad reviews – not a good sign of future work – especially on your home.
* Are the Workers Certified in Key Areas (Roofing, Siding, and Gutters) ? Check to make sure the Contractor has the skills needed to tackle your Home’s issues. Owners are typically frustrated & unsatisfied when Roofers do Gutter or Siding Repairs. And, you certainly don’t want a Gutter Guy putting on your Roof.
What kind of Warranty do they offer on their Labor ?
Longer Warranties = Better work up-front on your home.
The Products: Shingles, Siding, Gutters all have comparable warranties, however the Labor Warranty can range from “We don’t Warranty Labor” to long-term support.
What are their standard home protection, installation, and debris removal practices ?
We have heard horror stories from homeowners, where 3rd-party Contractors:
- don’t pickup their messes daily
- leave stains on driveways
- tear up landscaping and worse:
- customers don’t receive regular communication & project updates
- there are major scheduling delays after a deposit is made
- critical supplies are missing, or they ask to use the homeowner’s tools
Enhance the aesthetic appeal and value of your home with a Roof Replacement, New Siding, and New Gutters.
And, make your home look better than ever with help from a trusted, local provider. Many Product categories range from Good, to Better, to Best.
For instance, Dimensional Shingles (the new standard) cost a little more, however hold up almost twice as long as 3-Tab shingles and the Warranty is double vs Wind and storm damage. Therefore, ask about options to best meet your needs and budget. Know your future: if you plan to move in a few years, don’t over-do the upgrades or you may not be able to get those $’s back at Closing.
Roof, Siding, and Gutter Replacement is an important investment. So, research who you are working with to make sure they are up to your standards.
Leaks start as small cracks in roofing material that may not be visible or noticeable. Some times water may collect in an adjacent area. To detect such damage, a close inspection of the roof may be necessary.
A Certified Roofing Contractor can be called to avoid further damage to the roof, or personal injury to the homeowner caused by trying to inspect it his or her self. A roof inspection should be performed annually; constant weathering by sun, heat, rain, snow, hail, wind, and cold can cause roofing material to break down. A certified roofing contractor will know what to look for.
A roof and soffit system should be properly vented to prevent over-heating and moisture retention, two factors that can cause a roof to break down prematurely.
Hence, a certified contractor is knowledgeable of roof system types, materials, and installation procedures best suited to each project, and will ensure there is adequate ventilation so the roof can “breathe” properly.
Long-term, you want to feel confident in the quality of the services and the standards of the customer care.
Guard yourself against shady contractors by taking into account:
- the # of reviews
- authenticity of reviews
- time in business (locally)
- correctness of information and more
Depending on the Roof Size and Weather, we install most roofs in just one day and provide a lifetime warranty.
The Home Run Improvement team pushes for perfection on every project we undertake. We get the job done right the 1st time. Home Run Improvement is your trusted Local Contractor in the Louisville, Kentucky and surrounding counties area.
Contact Us today for a Free Home Improvement Estimate. We look forward to helping make your home your castle.