Since the beginning of time, one of the humans’ primary goals in life was to get a roof over their heads to shelter them from the rain, wind, and all kinds of danger. Millions of years later, caves turned into houses, but the problem is still as relevant as ever. No matter how luxurious your mansion is, it can still be destroyed should the roof fail to protect your newly remodeled kitchen, Italian-tile bathroom, celebrity-inspired walk-in closet, or lavish home cinema in the basement. Even a relatively small hole in the roof may cause serious damage. Water is notorious for seeping through the tiniest cracks and collecting above the ceiling until one day it bursts, and the water starts gushing through, flooding your expensive designer furniture and wiring. How to make sure this nightmare never happens to you? We have three words for you – total roof repair. Though it is not necessary to replace all the shingles every time you have a small leak, it is certainly beneficiary to tear off your entire roof once in a decade to prevent major disasters. In this article, we will unveil how much it costs to put on a new roof as well as all the basics you need to know about the process.
Choosing the right roof material depends on a lot of factors ranging from your location to your personal taste. For example, if you live in a dry region with a lot of forestation, investing in a fire-resistant metal roofing would be a good idea. But if all the houses in your neighborhood are predominantly Spanish, you are most likely to go with a red tile roof that complements the style. Here are some of the most common material options:
- Asphalt shingles: the most popular choice due to its low price and availability; less attractive compared to other materials.
- Wood shingles/shakes: durable, appealing, but pricey; not a good option for high-level fire danger regions.
- Metal (steel or aluminum): fireproof, expensive, requires professional help with installation, very durable, cost-effective.
- Slate: high-end option, highly attractive, but also very expensive and heavy; extremely slippery, which makes them difficult to repair.
- Composition slate: made from recycled materials, eco-friendly, resemble stone and slate but are much lighter and more durable.
- Ceramic/clay: traditional choice for Spanish-style houses, fire-resistant, but very heavy.
Remember that the choice of material will affect the price of the roof change. This aspect should also be factored in your decision making.
How much does it cost to put on a new roof?
The equation includes the cost of labor, square footage, pitch, and material. If we take the most popular option – asphalt shingles – the average cost of roofing per square foot will fall between $3 and $6, depending on location. This price includes permit fees, demolition, installation, and cleanup. This is what you should expect to pay for the entire roof:
- Asphalt: $7,000 to $12,000
- Aluminum: $15,000 to $28,000
- Wood: $14,000 to $25,000
- Steel: $14,000 to $25,000
- Concrete/clay: $20,000 to $50,000
- Slate: $25,000 to $50,000
For a budget solution, consider roofing your home off-season, when the demand and prices are lower.
Full roof replacement or layering?
In some regions, it is acceptable to put a new layer of roofing over the old one, while other jurisdictions require a complete tear-off. What is the best? Consider this:
Pros of layering:
- Less work
- Waste reduction
- Easy to do yourself
Cons of layering:
- Depending on the weight of the shingles, the roofing may get too heavy and damage the framing
- Less attractive as the old roof may have surface irregularities
A team of specialists can tear the roofing off in a couple of hours. So if you are going to hire contractors, a total roof repair would make more sense. All in all, the whole process will take them 3-4 days, including the cleanup.
There are more than 10,000 nails in your roof. Most of them will come out and land right on your lawn and driveway, potentially resulting in injury or a flat tire. Professionals use a magnet tool to pick every nail, so don’t pay until you see one of those passing over your backyard.
Before you type “replace my roof” in Google, searching for contractors nearby, let us save you the trouble! Home Run Improvement is a reliable, Louisville-based company offering a full range of roof repair services at affordable prices. Do you need a new roof? We are here to satisfy all of your needs! Contact our customer managers to get a quote on your project.